Our unique INTEGRATED PLANNING PROCESS focuses on the synergy which is possible when space use, maintenance, and utilities costs are studied and planned in tandem. When your integrated Plan is implemented, the learning environment becomes more effective while operating costs progressively diminish. As your maintenance and utilities costs are reduced, funds are freed up for the operating budget. The Integrated Planning Process occurs within the framework of your Strategic Plan, supporting its goals. Your plan will be tailored to your curriculum and to your constituency to create your own knowledge incubator.
Our integrated approach explores the simultaneous interplay between THREE KEY AREAS:
Learning-based Space Use Planning is based on the needs you will encounter as you educate life-long learners, today and into the future. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Creating comfortable learning environments where space is used creatively, efficiently and effectively while providing optimal lighting and temperature.
- Designing flexible learning environments which accommodate changes in methods of teaching, technology and learning environment. We explore needs for individual, mentoring and collaborative work spaces while considering possibilities for flexibility in space use throughout the day.
- Integrating emerging use of technology and digital teaching tools into campus designs and renovations.
- Engaging your community in both reviewing ideas and generating new ideas which reflect the values of the community.
For a detailed description of our process that can encourage input from all participants, please refer to Episode 2 in our Idea Incubator.
Phased and Cost-efficient Maintenance Planning ensures a safe and efficient environment by identifying and prioritizing maintenance issues. Discussions with school staff and an in-depth assessment by our team will result in recommendations which are factored into a cost-benefit analysis and prioritize according to the school’s goals.
Utilities Cost Planning utilizes advanced energy modeling software to identify potential savings by analyzing the existing building envelope, utilities usage and current costs. We combine our extensive knowledge base with our energy modeling experience to address issues regarding:
- Building Envelope (walls, roof, slab, and foundation) – optimizing construction, insulations and energy-efficient fenestration
- HVAC Systems – maximizing heat, ventilation and air conditioning efficiency
- Internal Heat Gain – from heat generated within buildings by sun exposure, lighting, computers and machinery
- Use of Additional “Green” Technologies – such as PV solar panels, with turbines, etc.
- This dynamic planning process is constantly updated with emerging technologies and construction methods.
The ROAD MAP we develop often includes step-by-step phases over a period of years or decades. These phases build upon each other to reach goals unattainable within the scope of a single funding cycle.
Our Utilities Cost Planning is conducted simultaneously with Space Use Planning and Maintenance Planning assessments, ensuring complementary, timely and sensible improvements.